Thursday, April 3, 2008

Stranger in a Strange Land. Flyers Lose.

(paying homage to my favorite blog with the post title..)

First of all, let me just say that everyone should see a game in enemy territory at least once. One tip though: don't choose their last regular home season game on the night they clinch the division. The word uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe the experience.

Secondly, I want to say that Pens fans were a classy group, and only engaged in good natured ribbing with me. The fact that I have an unknown player on my jersey and I am a non-threatening girl probably helped a little, but still, they were pretty much nice. If I was a drunken asshole walking around with a Hartnell jersey, I may have gotten my throat cut, but since I wasn't it was all good...

I won't say much about the game here (I usually don't say much about the games in my posts anyhow) except wow, the officiating was, as Nadine would say, creative. It's funny to see the opposing fans act indignant when the refs finally call something questionable on their guys. I think there was a hooking call on the Pens in the 2nd or 3rd, and the folks around me were astonished! One guy behind me who had been ribbing me earlier said to me "even you're laughing at that one." I said, "that's what you call a makeup call, guy!"

It was, in Pens/Flyers game tradition, a physical battle. There was blood everywhere! Hartnell's nose looked like it was falling off, and Umberger had blood all over his jersey and chin and I have no idea why! I still haven't watched the game on Tivo. Pens fans say the Flyers were going after Crosby, but from where I sat, I didn't really get that. I would imagine though that in general, opposing teams "go after" Crosby when he has the puck. It's my understanding that that is the nature of the game...

A few other notes:

*I didn't win the Gary Roberts jersey!

*I only saw about 4 other Flyers fans in the entire place. WTF people?

*Therrien better sit Crosby on Sunday or I'll take him out myself!

*Iceburgh is the cutest mascot ever. The little stuffed one I bought won't stop smiling no matter how many times I drop kick it!

*The Pens store is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Flyers store. They have every single player tshirt! They even had Gill and Dupuis! It's a good thing I am not a Pens fan, or I would have spent about 300 dollars in there!

*Pittsburgh is slightly dumpier than it was when I was there 10 years ago. Especially downtown. I guess I have been in the suburbs too long!

Big game tonight. Let's go Flyers!

No comments:

Post a Comment