Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Okay okay....

I know I am not really allowed to say anything about the Downie hit, since I am a Flyers fan and can't be objective. But I just can't keep quiet any more. Jim over at South Florida Flyers has a well reasoned case over at his place. Here is an excerpt:

To put the hit into perspective, we first have to eliminate the personalities. Both Downie & McAmmond should not play into the discussion, the suspension, or the analysis of the hit. If you come up with a different conclusion based on the people involved then your conclusion is flawed. You have to arrive at the same answer no matter if:
Downie hit McAmmond or
Downie hit McGratten or
Neil hit Drury or
Neil hit McDonald or
McGratten hit Kapanen or
Kapanen hit McGratten

It is the ACT that should be judged not the participants.

Secondly, you have to forget about the outcome of the hit. It shouldn't matter that a player received a concussion, a broken wrist, etc.

It is the ACT that should be judged not the outcome. I see no difference between hit to the head that results in a concussion, and one where the player gets right up and skates down the ice. A hit to the head is a hit to the head.


Please note that I am not actually stating any opinions in this post, so feel free to not attack me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment